tutorial and photography by Tanya Collier
+ fine wale cord in yellow for :
front panel - 33cm x 53cm
+ 33cm grey chevron fabric for:
2 x back panels - 33cm x 35cm/
applique - 10cm x 10cm
+ iron-on adhesive
+ dark grey embroidery thread
+ embroidery needle
+ embroidery hoop
+ sewing machine
+ white or yellow thread
+ tape measure
+ 30cm x 50cm cushion insert
click here to download the pattern & feather template
adding the feather applique...
1. Trace the feather template onto the backing paper of the iron-on adhesive.
2. Place iron-on adhesive (paper side up) onto the wrong side of the applique fabric and iron into place using a dry iron. Position the feather template to work with the chevron pattern.
3. Allow to cool, then cut out your feather shape.
4. Remove backing paper from the feather, position onto the front panel and iron into place.(A)
5. Place the front panel into an embroidery hoop with the feather centred.(B)
6. Using a blanket stitch embroider around the feather with dark grey embroidery thread - our stitches are approx. 5mm apart and 5mm deep.(C)
7. Create the shaft of the feather with a back stitch.(D)
8. Secure and trim your embroidery thread and remove the front panel from the hoop.
assemble the cushion...
1. Take one of the back panels and, with the wrong side face up, fold and press the ‘cushion opening’ edge in 1cm. Then fold and press again so that the raw edge is hidden inside.(E)
2. Pin in place and machine stitch the hem. Repeat on the second back panel.
3. Lay the front of your cushion right side face up. Take the back panels and place onto the top panel so the right sides of the fabric are touching. Carefully line up all the outside edges and pin in place.(F)
4. Machine stitch all the way around your cushion.
5. Carefully trim the corners. Turn your cushion right side out, press, and fill with the cushion insert.